Thursday, August 18, 2011

What's For Dinner

When I first started working on my fajita marinade, I noticed that every recipe I looked at included tequila.  Operating on the myth (yes it IS a myth) that the "alcohol just cooks out," I thought it would be a good idea to try tequila in mine.  As a Mormon living in Happy Valley that posed a little problem: should I risk someone (my bishop, maybe) seeing me go in, or worse, come out of the state liquor store, or should I send my friend, Dave, who didn't care.  I decided on Dave.  Nah, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do--I went myself.  As I emerged, I notice a familiar turquoise van driving by, and the driver waving.  I waved back, "Hi, Bishop"  (just kidding, but it is the kind of thing that seems to happen to me more than it should.)  I don't think he really saw me, or did he--that could explain my early release from teaching the fourteen-year-olds in Sunday School--ah, Serendipity!)

Anyway, to make a long story short, every combination of traditional or original ingredients I tried with tequila didn't work.. I think the stuff must be an acquired taste, and since most of my customers never acquired it, I decided to leave it out.  What we finally came up with 20 years ago was really good.  Now, after eating, what, 2000 fajitas, I still can't get enough.  I think it's the combination of those original ingredients--never changed--and the beautiful sweet red onions.

Although I have the old-school attitude of keeping my recipes secret, I will tell you a little secret--what makes everything delicious--extra virgin olive oil.  Another secret--maybe not so secret, but true, nonetheless--it's all in the Sauce.  Perfect your sauces, salsas, dressings, gravies, etc, and you go from good cook to genius chef. More about that later.

Well, it's past 3am, and my three-year-old "baby" just trundled downstairs--gotta go she what she needs, gotta catch some Zs.

No comments:

Post a Comment